08 January 2006

Checking out the next dressing room...

This is the time of the year that I dread the most. The darn one month period before Lunar New Year. Beside the all-so-familiar awful Ching-chong LNY tunes blasting at every possible heartland shopping malls, shoppers are seeing RED everywhere, literally. Wearing red is such a cliche during LNY. Well, at least it is a good chance for retail stores to be bringing out their outdated stocks of whatever in red, maroon, pink, simply anything in the shade of red.

I seriously don't sense the joy of shopping pre-LNY. First of all, I don't like red or orange or maroon, ok, maybe pink and purple is alright. Secondly, I don't like the idea of forcing yourself to buy something. It's like a waste of my money spending on some clothes I won't be wearing very often (eg. the red cheong sam I bought last year). Thirdly, I am disgusted by the very nature of the female gender to out dress each other. You can see the cattiness in each of the ladies' eyes in the fitting room. They will peer over your mirror to check you out. If they think you look good, they will either pick the similar piece to try on or find another item that will outshine yours. Suddenly, the narrow aisle of the fitting area has transformed into a mini-runway. The ladies will be strutting up and down, in and out of the changing rooms, posing in front of the full length mirror, confronted by dilemmas, envy and confusion. And at the end of the day, they will still end up buying more or less the same design, in the few perceived "auspicious" colours. For example, I was queuing up to try on a pair of jeans at Mango. In front of me, I saw 3 ladies trying on identical knitted tops of different sizes. It looks as if they were buying uniforms or something.

Another part of the tradition leading to LNY, which I absolutely loathed, is: SPRING CLEANING! Friends who actually knows me are undeniably convinced that I am a mess. I lived in a "sty" with 3 rodent-like friends (my hamsters). And I actually like my room a little messy, which is in an intolerably unacceptable state to usher in the LNY. So I have to get my ass off the sofa, roll my sleeve up and wipe the dust off the shelves. And the worst part is to bear is... my parents' constant annoying nags...

So all in all, I must sum up that I am going to stay grumpy... Hmmm... At least until the Ang Bao money starts rolling in... haha... *_*

No comments: