09 December 2005

Racism disrupts peace


Racism disrupts peace
Originally uploaded by candice_dymphna_ng.
This picture is taken from the movie poster of American History X. If you happened to watch that movie, you would know that it is about how brutal racism can get.

Well, inevitably, discrimination happens in every society. Personally, I feel that every single one of us are guilty of habouring prejudice at some point in time.

For example: I really detest English-speaking Chinese(read SINGAPOREANS) who proudly proclaims that they really suck at their Mandarin usage. Afterwhich, delibrately attempt to speak a few words in their broken Mandarin and chuckle away. I mean, come on, if their Mandarin is as sucky as how they put it, why try to embarass themselves? As a result, making a mockery out of the language and an absolute fool of themselves. It's already bad enough that they don't have sufficient understanding of their own mother tongue. Why emplify your shortcoming? *Shrugs*

A friend was talking to me about racism over dinner just now. He was kinda put away by the * race. So much so that he started stigmatizing their common religion and scruntizing facts and reports to prove his point. I feel that it is really unfair to be judging and stereotyping a certain race based on some notorious behaviour from the black sheeps of the community. I could say that I am not exactly a racist. But I dislike certain people of certain races because I detest their behaviour, and not their race or religion. I hope my dear friend Q will learn how to draw the line between personal prejudice and racism. You'll never know. You might have to work under a * race superior in future. Ha ha,,, And what if the society rejects the un-beautiful like you and me?

Better equip yourself with armour before we get stoned!

No comments: