22 February 2008

Not a crowd mingler.

In the media industry, the skill of socializing is more than merely building good rapport with your peers, clients and bosses. By associating with the right people make your career soar, generate revenue figures to the company's account and all that jazz. Which is the reason behind the exorbitant social networking parties.

The toughest part is.. To break the ice and make the first move. Unfortunately the office culture is not exactly helping. Almost everyone here is young (think below 35), full of energy and gear up to impress. Just like school, they hang out in cliques. It is not easy to mingle around the popular ones unless you too have either the looks, the position or if you are an up-and-coming raising rookie. In other words, you got to be LIKE them to be WITH them. Everyone just loves you when you're winning...

It is ironic that the environment has compelled me into reservation. I am more worried about how the others will judge me if I am being myself. Tongues will wag. Well, the no.1 rule of survival is still "every man for themself". The game of office politics is just a silly game that was spurred on by greed for power and fame. It is just so tiring that to think of strategies to worm your way into your boss' heart on top of your piling workload. But if I am not in the game, I will probably not have a good chance at promotion. People who made their efforts and potential known are mostly aggressive. I want to be like them. I want to be the tiger... But the heart of my nature is still very much the likes of a domestic kitten. I am pretty much alone in crowded concrete jungle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey candice,

how is it going? your this post sounds interesting =p
hope to catch up soon someday =)