03 May 2006

The sandstorm in our politics desert

Come Saturday, 06/05/06, is the General Election. Around my neighborhood, campaign banners have been put up, some parties more “kiasu” than the other. The media made endless reports on on-going rallies. Among them, many issues have been raised and, their solutions, promised to be fulfilled. Some claimed to dig skeletons out of their competitor’s closet, while others are just brewing storms in teacups. Well, during the election period, anything goes.

I wonder, what would first time voters, like myself, be concerned about?
Generally, my peers are considerably nonchalant about politics and are still un-interested in the election. Try posting them a question like, “What is the name of our Minister for Health?” The answer will most probably go “Erh… I don’t know.” “Which parties are contesting for your area?” “Eh… Not sure, but the logo is the one with the red circles and PAP loh.”

This is a phenomenon. I am no sociologist to judge if this ignorance is healthy to our country, but personally I feel that young Singaporeans should at least know a little about our country’s political background and culture before voting blindly. After all we are part of the One People, One Nation, One Singapore right?

No comments: